- Personal Injury Litigation
- Workers' Compensation
- Missouri, 1981
- Illinois, 1982
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
Founding attorney Martin Haxel has a legal career that spans more than three decades, but there is more to the story than that. Here, we wanted to take the time to tell you more about Martin's background, so you get a better idea of who you are working with when you retain Haxel Law to handle your case.
Martin didn't come from a long line of attorneys. He had to work hard to get where he is today. He attended college at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville (SIUE) and earned money for school while working in an Alton factory and mowing/digging graves at an Alton cemetery. After college, he decided to attend law school. At St. Louis University (SLU) Law, he worked as a bartender and did legal research for a local law firm.
After graduating from law school, he went to work for the Illinois Attorney General's office in Springfield. He has lived in the community ever since, with his wife of more than 30 years, Laurie Haxel, a retired Food and Drug Administration (FDA) National Expert Investigator. Martin and Laurie have three children, a son and two daughters, all of whom attended grade school and high school in Springfield.
In his limited free time away from the office, Martin plays in a weekly senior league hockey game. He's an avid Cardinals and Blues fan. You might also see him cycling on the Sangamon Valley Trail or boating on Lake Springfield when the weather cooperates.
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, Edwardsville, Illinois
- Major: Economics
- Volunteer for Springfield Dioceses, Catholic Charity Legal Services
- Troops and Cops for Kids Foundation - PRESIDENT
- Bringing the Insurance Carrier Into the Case, ISBA, Workers' Compensation Section, March, 2017
- Illinois State Bar Association, 1983 to Present
- Missouri Bar, 1981 to Present
- Sangamon County Bar Association, 1991 to Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Present
- REAR END CAR AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT - WHIPLASH INJURY -Client sustained neck injury when involved in automobile accident. Haxel Law obtained policy-limit settlement from the insurance company of the driver at fault
- WORKER'S COMPENSATION - IMPORTANT VICTORY FOR FIREFIGHTERS - Haxel Law won a worker's compensation trial on behalf of a Springfield firefighter who suffered hearing loss. This ruling could make it easier for firefighters across the state to receive compensation for their work-related hearing damage in a courtroom trial or during settlement negotiations.
- INJURED TRUCK DRIVER WORKER'S COMPENSATION QUADRUPLED - Negotiated settlement for injured truck driver that was 4.5 times larger than initial offer after demanding that Illinois Law apply. Injuries included torn rotator cuff and pulmonary embolism.